COMELEC Procurement of AES Equipment, Supplies, and Services
What is Procurement?
Procurement is the process of finding and agreeing to terms, and acquiring goods, services, or works from an external source, often via a tendering or competitive bidding process.
Philippine Government Procurement
- The procurement of the Government is being governed by Republic Act 9184, also known as Government Procurement Reform Act of 2002, and its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR).
- Scope: The national government, its departments, bureaus, offices, including state universities and colleges, government-owned and/controlled corporations, government financial institutions, and local government units
What is the COMELEC Special Bids and Awards Committee?
The COMELEC Special Bids and Awards Committee (SBAC) is a special unit constituted to manage procurement related to the Automation Election System (AES).
What is NAMFREL’s Role in COMELEC Procurement?
- To promote transparency and accountability in the procurement.
- NAMFREL has been involved in the oversight of COMELEC’s AES since 2010. Part of its oversight activities is monitoring the procurement of goods and services related to the AES. NAMFREL is being invited by the COMELEC SBAC to help in observing the proper public bidding process and as compliance to R.A. 9184 and its Revised IRR.
Procurement Stages Being Observed by NAMFREL
- Shall discuss, clarify and explain, among other things, the eligibility requirements, and the technical and financial components of the contract to be bid including questions and clarifications raised by the prospective bidders before and during the Pre-Bid Conference
Deadline of Submission/Opening of Bids
- The bidder/s shall submit their requirements and proposal to the bids and awards committee.
- The technical and legal requirements will be examined by the technical working group and will determine the bidder’s eligibility.
- All eligible bidders’ financial proposals will be opened and examined. The ineligible bidder’s financial proposal will be sealed. The technical working group will determine who has the Lowest Calculated Bid (LCB).
- The Lowest Calculated Bid/Highest Rated Bid shall undergo post-qualification in order to determine whether the bidder concerned complies with and is responsive to all the requirements and the conditions as specified in the Bidding Documents.
- If the bidder passed all the evaluation and testing of the samples, the bids and awards committee will proceed with the awarding of the contract.
To know more about the Government Procurement Reform Act, read the Handbook on Philippine Government Procurement.
Status of COMELEC’s AES Procurement for the 2022 National and Local Elections
(As of September 29, 2021)
NOA – Notice of Award
|ITEM||STATUS||TYPE||APPROVED BUDGET OF CONTRACT (ABC)||CONTRACT PRICE |
|Vote Counting Machines (VCM) Refurbishment with Consumables||Awarded to SMMT-TIM 2016 Smartmatic after the 2nd bidding |
(NOA – May 14, 2021)
|Goods and Services||Php 660,741,660.47||Php 637,443,308.45|
|Consolidation and Canvassing System (CCS) Laptops for the 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to Masangkay Computer Center|
(NOA – August 13, 2021)
|Goods||Php 116,160,000.00||Php 109,894,400.00|
|Printers with Toners for the 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to Link Network Solutions Inc |
(NOA – March 20, 2021)
|Goods||Php 45,057,166.00||Php 18.233,600.00|
|Elections System (AES) Software for the Election Management System (EMS), Vote Counting Machines (VCM), and Consolidation and Canvassing System (CCS) Software to be used in 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to SMMT-TIM 2016 – Smartmatic USA Corp., Joint Venture |
(NOA – March 30, 2021)
|Goods||Php 452,522,321.43||Php 402,725,549.70|
|Thermal Paper for Use in the 2022 National and Local Elections (NLE)||Awarded to Multi-Forms Corporation |
(NOA – July 29, 2021)
|Goods||Php 123,307,791.00||Php 88,934,392.00|
|Servers for the 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to Microgenesis Software, Inc. |
(NOA – July 17, 2021)
|Goods||Php 8,305,666.67||Php 7,848,000.00|
|Secure Electronic Transmission Services (SETS) for the 2022 NLE Election Results||Awarded to Smartmatic TIM Corporation |
(NOA – August 12, 2021)
|Services||Php 1,056,000,000.00||Php 1,053,151,000.00|
|Ballot Paper and Marking Pens for Use in the 2022 NLE||2nd Bidding||Goods||Ballot Paper: Php 132,107,002.37|
Marking Pens: Php 72,814,060.00 Total: Php 204,921,062.37
|I-Buttons for Digital Signature,|
Cable Assembly Network and Adapter for use in the
2022 National and Local Elections
|Negotiated Procurement (2 failed biddings) Failure of Bidding |
|Goods||i-Buttons: Php 160,974,000.00|
Cable Network Assembly: 3 Php,875,795.00
Total: Php 169,364,410
|Lease of Vote Counting|
Machines (VCM) External
Batteries for use in 2022
National and Local Elections
|Awarded to Smartmatic |
NOA – July 22, 2021)
|Goods||Php 162,129,070.95||Php 162,088,476.79|
Packaging Services for use in the 2022 National and Local Elections
|On-going post-qualification||Services||Php 150,245,365.21|
|Deployment of Election Equipment, Peripherals, Form supplies, and Paraphernalia with Provision of Warehousing Services for 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded |
Lot 1 – F2 Logistics Philippines Incorporated
Lot 2 – F2 Logistics Philippines Incorporated
Lot 3 – F2 Logistics Philippines Incorporated
Lot 4 – F2 Logistics Philippines Incorporated
(NOA – September 15, 2021)
|Services||Php 1,610,672,265.92||Lot 1 – Php 106,000,000.00 |
Lot 2 – Php 123,000,000.00
Lot 3 – Php 120,999,999.00
Lot 4 – Php 185,999,999.99
Total – Php 440,599,998.99
|USB Tokens for use in the 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to Masangkay Computer Center |
(NOA – September 10, 2021)
|Goods||Php 1,119,360.00||Php 989,340.00|
|Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for the 2022 National and Local Elections||Awarded to Automation Specialists and Power Exponents, Inc. |
(NOA – August 12, 2021)
|Goods||Php 1,049,430.00||Php 200,510.00|
|I-Buttons for Electoral Boards for Use in the 2020 National and Local Elections||Failure of Bidding |
|Lease of OMR/OPSCAN Precinct Counter with SD Cards for Use in the 2022 National and Local Elections||Failure of Bidding |
|Cargo Forwarding Services for the Delivery of Election-Related Equipment, Peripherals, Forms, Supplies, and Paraphernalia from the Philippines to Foreign Service Posts and Vice-Versa||Post-qualification|
|AES Certification Services by an International Certification Entity for the 2022 National and Local Elections||2nd Bidding, Post-qualification Limited Source Bidding |
|Ballot Boxes for Use in the 2022 National and Local Elections||Postponed |
|Network Switches, Patch Panel, Patch Cord & Other Related Materials for use in the 2022 National and Local Elections||Post-qualification |
|Election Monitoring and Action Center for the 2022 National and Local Elections||Failure of Bidding|
To see more of Comelec procurement, visit https://comelec.gov.ph/?r=Procurement/ProcurementProjects.